I miss sleep. It’s as simple as that. Having 2 young children has robbed me of sleep. I have never been a great sleeper and for a number of years suffered from some pretty crazy insomnia. But nothing compares to kids. From an early age we tried to train James to be a good sleeper and he is. However lately he has been getting up in the middle of the night. He wakes up crying and upset which leaves me with 2 options. 1. Calm him down, put him back in his bed and sit with him till he falls back asleep (this can take up to 45 min) or 2. Let him come into bed and sleep with us. I don’t always have the energy for the first and so I opt for snuggles in bed. In my2am delirium I think it seems like a good idea but if you have ever slept with a toddler you know they move around like crazy. Many nights I wake up with his feet in my face or he randomly throws his arms out and hits me. So needless to say when he comes to bed I either don’t sleep well or land up heading out to the couch.
If dealing with an upset 2 yr old wasn’t enough to ruin my sleep add a 2 month old to the mix. Beatrice is still getting up every few hours to eat. If I’m lucky I can get 4 hours consecutively. During those glorious hours I sleep like the dead. But as soon as one of the kids starts to fuss my mommy super senses go crazy and wake me up.
So one strike against sleep is James, 2 is Beatrice and 3 is my husband. He snores!!! He didn’t snore when we started dating but over the past 3 years he has started this wonderful habit. I love him but seriously WHAT THE HECK! He even wakes me up some times when I’m sleeping on the couch. I love to snuggle with him at night but lately all I want is a room to myself that I can crash in for the night. If we ever win the lotto I am buying a house with an extra room just for me. It would have the most comfy bed, Egyptian cotton sheets and soundproof walls.
I feel like a walking zombie most days. But mamma said there would be days like this…right? I keep looking forward to the day where I can get 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Then again I may not know what to do with myself if I wasn’t tired. I think maybe I will go to the gym or cook all dinners from scratch or not fall asleep at work. But who am I kidding I’m not going to get much sleep till the kids are older and even then it’s a crap shoot. Oh well. I guess my body will just get use to sleeping less.


No comments:
Post a Comment